The word Lent is derived from the Anglo-Saxon word for springtime, which literally translates in modern English to “the lengthening of the days.” In the early church, the Lenten period was used as a time for preparing new converts for Baptism on Easter Sunday. Today it is a time for preparation, reflection, growth, and change. The liturgical color for Lent is purple, a solemn color, a color for royalty and repentance. The liturgical color for Easter Sunday and the Sundays between Easter and Pentecost is white, signifying purity.
What is Lent?
When is Lent?
The liturgical season of Lent begins with the solemn observance of Ash Wednesday and continues for six weeks, culminating with the church’s joyous celebration of Easter.
What is Holy Week?
Holy Week is the last week of Lent. During this week, Christians remember important events in the last days of Jesus’s life, his death on the cross, and his resurrection from the dead.
Important Days during Lent
- Ash Wednesday: official beginning of the Lenten season. It is a day of prayer and public confession of sins.
- Palm Sunday: a day of change from the joyful celebration of Jesus’ triumphant entry into Jerusalem to the solemn knowledge of what lies ahead for him in the coming week.
- Maundy Thursday: focuses on the Lord’s Supper and the new commandment to love one another.
- Good Friday: on this day we remember Christ’s suffering and death on the cross.
- Easter Sunday: celebration of Christ’s resurrection from the dead.
Special opportunity for Lent 2022
Study healthy ministry partnership between women and men. Over the course of seven sessions, you’ll journey through video lessons, Bible study material, and thought-provoking reflection questions. And if you sign up by March 2, you’ll have the opportunity to journey with a facilitated discussion group this Lent.
Lent resources for personal discipleship
Sharing Your Faith during Lent
How to respond to common questions
Lent is a time when your neighbors may be more curious about your faith. Brush up on some common questions you might get.
2022 Lent Discipleship Calendar
Daily discipleship prompts for Lent
Challenge yourself to deepen your discipleship a little bit each day during the season of Lent.